Sunday, April 3, 2011

10 day experiment in self acceptance, day 3

"Self-acceptance is love, and your capacity to love yourself determines your capacity to love everyone else. The less you accept yourself, the more you will criticize your friends. 

'I see myself through the eyes of love.' If you are like most people, you know exactly what you don't love about yourself, but you're vague and uncertain about the ways that you do love yourself. For example, you could easily write a list of the things you don't like about your body, including the cellulite on your thighs, the size of your feet or the number on the scale, but could you write a list of all the ways you do love yourself? When you see yourself through the eyes of love, everyone in your life will benefit. If your mother had taken better care of herself, would your childhood have been any better? While you can't go back into your past, you can begin to nurture yourself now. 

Write down 10 ways you are not currently being very loving to yourself. Then, go back through your list, take a look at each point and imagine what would happen if you loved every single one of your supposed flaws. Write down exactly how your life would be better and how it would change the lives of the people around you."


1) I am highly critical of myself. I have trouble cutting myself slack.
-- If I were less critical of myself, I would be less critical of others. It would be easier to accept other peoples' flaws.


2) I doubt myself and my ability to succeed.
-- I would be less shakable in my resolve. People would be able to rely on me more. I could better use my talents to help other people .


3) I say mean things to myself.
-- I would be nicer to myself and others and more enjoyable to be around.


4) I worry a lot about the future.
-- I could let go and allow life to be exactly as it is.


5) I fear that I am stupid and an anti-intellectual. 
-- I could embrace my wisdom more. I could more easily admit mistakes and learn more from others.


6) I often find myself wishing I were different than I am.
-- I could be more authentic. I could better realize my potential, which would probably allow me to contribute more to society.


7) I am often late.
-- I would be more professional and respectful if I were on time more. Other people would feel that I appreciate and value their time as much as I appreciate and value my own.


8) I don't always try my hardest.
-- If I tried my hardest, there is no telling what I could accomplish. If I tried my hardest, the potential for helping other people would be limitless.


9) My actions do not always reflect my deepest desires.
-- My life would more closely match my dreams and goals. I would treat myself with more respect. I wouldn't worry so much about what others expect and want from me. I would speak my mind more freely and be more honest with everyone. This would create more harmony for me and for the relationships I have with loved ones and colleagues.


10) I turn to things outside myself (food, sex, stupid videos/blogs on the Internet) to make me happy. I also use external stimuli to avoid feeling emotions that I fear are too intense for me to handle. 
-- I would be better equipped to handle intense emotions. I would simply feel them, they would eventually dissipate and I would still be in tact. I would trust in myself more and have less fear. I would have more genuine, more significant interactions with other people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment