Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday, June 28 I AM THE CREATOR OF MY METABOLISM

First and foremost, apologies to anyone who has experienced problems commenting on posts . . . it is apparently a common problem that blogger is aware of and "working to resolve." Which to me means, there's nothing I can do about it, which is incredibly effing frustrating. However, there is, in fact, nothing I can do about it, SO please bear with me.
I had a productive day yesterday! I cleaned the ENTIRE house, booya! That's always somehow the most productive feeling, maybe ever. Besides, I dunno . . . graduating from grad school or something. But do diplomas smell like Pine Sol? No. So, maybe I'll stick with cleaning as the most accomplished thing I can cram into a day's plans.
I went to a nutrition seminar at Scenic City -- where I've been going to Boot Camp for the past two weeks, lovers! I meant to go to the Boot Camp before the Nutrition Seminar, but I semi-pussed out, as I was fearful of how hard it was going to be. I stayed home and practiced a little Astanga yoga, since I've been aching to re-incorporate it into my life. In particular, on my own terms and in a more loving environment than that which introduced the practice and I to each other. 
Real quick, the primary things I got out of it:
PROTEIN FIRST! Protein is the building block of muscle-building in the body. Muscles burn fat, so we need it when aspiring to drop pounds.  Imagine your plate is a pie chart cut into thirds. One-third of your plate should always be lean protein, like almost any kind of fish, chicken breast, ground turkey, etc.
"SUGAR" AND SODIUM ARE DETRIMENTAL TO WEIGHT LOSS. They are counter-intuitive to the weight loss process in the body. Eating sugar causes insulin to spike, and insulin is THE road block to fat loss and offers no detours. Also, sugar is tricky because it has about as many different names as Satan himself (coincidence?); to name a few, honey, maltodextrin, turbinado, high fructose corn syrup, rice syrup. The list goes on. And salt causes water-retention, among other things, I'm sure.
EAT EVERY 3 - 4 HOURS Now this one, we've already addressed somewhat in this bloggy, no? The whole idea behind tweaking your diet to encourage weight loss is to speed up the metabolism. It stands to reason that the metabolism will never get more efficient if it doesn't have to work regularly. So simple, when it's spelled out like that. NEVER skip meals, least of all breakfast! Also, today's title comes from this section of the seminar. If you hear yourself saying that genetics dealt you a shitty hand when it comes to your metabolism, STOP SAYING THAT. Start saying, I am the creator of my metabolism! Eventually you will start to mean it and, therefore, eventually it will be true.

Have to run, for now . . . Boot Camp time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment