Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24th, "Strides, often painful, always forward"

The title of today's post comes from an article a friend sent me about an amputee ultra-runner. Because 26 miles is apparently not enough, er, fun (read, punishment) for some, there are people in this world who will run, like, a hundred miles at a time. *Pausing to wretch, if only on the inside* The thing is though, this lady runs in these uber-long-distance races with one less leg than most people are blessed to have. Down one of the primary things convention tells us we need two of to run. That's just awesome. If she can run 100 miles with one leg, certainly I can work out my body with two. It just goes to show, sheer will and determination are forces powerful enough to overcome just about any obstacle. Also, circumstances do not have to dictate success or failure.
MIND -- To keep my mind at ease, I will visit the post office before work to air mail my grant acceptance to the forces that be in Germany. Also, I'll review the first two lessons from my teaching English as a foreign language online course. If I begin the third, that's lagniappe.
BODY -- (Input/Nutrition) For breakfast this morning, I had two cups of coffee with soy milk and about a half cup of honey-flavored Greek yogurt. For lunch, I'll have the rest of my Bratkartoffeln (kinda like the Cajun hash browns from Louie's in Baton Rouge, if that tells anyone anything) and maybe last night's remaining salad if the lettuce isn't too wilted. If it is, I can sear up some flounder right quick and have it with some green peas and brown rice. For dinner tonight, I'll have some brown rice and beans (thanks, mouton noir!)
I've got to add, I'm so proud of my water intake of late. I've been doing really well at increasing the amount of water I drink on a daily basis. Way to go, Ms Dee!
(Output/Exercise) I've completed the first half of the Slim in 6 workout I've been doing not as conscientiously as I'd like . . . but I'm getting there. I stopped because I'm starving and wanted to blog before work. I'll finish the rest when I get home and go for a short walk after, as well. I'm working on renewing my relationship with cardio, walking in particular. Me and walking had this special thing going a few years back. We'd been going steady for a while there, but life kinda got in the way for a little while. I'm happy to report, though, that walking is good like few things are and is always there waiting for me when I'm ready to be sensible.
SPIRIT -- Let me take this time and space to give thanks for the many gifts I have. Health. Happiness. Security. Shelter. Wonderful family and framily. A job. Transportation. Boundless potential. I'm using the practice of blogging about my journey to health to set my intention to live the life I've always dreamed of living and to serve the greater good. Also, I'd like to dedicate my lifelong and daily struggle of caring for my Self -- mind, body and spirit -- to all those who struggle with the same thing. It is my sincerest hope that I can some day devote my life's work to helping those who struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I pledge 15 minutes of meditation in the name of alleviating the suffering of my family, friends and indeed all of existence.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment