Thursday, May 13, 2010

May 13th, persistence

Dear Bloggy-readers,

I'm hereby making a commitment to blog more often! I could use the excuse of working more hours to blame for my infrequency, but the truth is that I am lethargic and whiny in the morning. Resistant to pretty much anything that's not a bowl of breakfast, a cup of coffee/tea and some awful morning show. But I'm pretty sure I'm being a tad dramatic . . . OF COURSE I can (and will) set aside twenty to thirty minutes each morning to blog about my up-coming exploits in the realm of getting fit.
In slightly unrelated news, I've found out that I will be sent to Hamburg to fulfill my Fulbright award! I'm in power save mode and brainstorming ideas to make extra money. Also, I've been fretting a little recently . . . wondering if I have any business buying the kinda pricey groceries I've been buying recently. Shouldn't I just be eating beans and rice and salads? I haven't decided yet. While it is of utmost importance that I save between 3 and 4 thousand dollars between now and late August, I also happen to believe that putting healthy foods into my body are even more important and far-reaching in impact. What say you, dear readers?


MIND - As per usual, I am blogging to tend to my mental health. Writing is so incredibly therapeutic for me . . . I find that it helps me to stay focused and committed. To ensure mental stability, I'd like to remind myself for at least the remainder of the day, "It's nothing personal." See, I have a tendency to be hyper-sensitive. I get agitated when the way people are -- totally aside from how they feel or what they think about me -- is other than the way I think they should be. This is rather hard/embarrassing to admit, but it's the truth. For instance, I can have a strained relationship with my Father for lots and lots of reasons besides my hypersensitivity, but in truth, my Dad makes no bones about the type of son-of-a-bitch he is. And I know VERY WELL the type of son-of-a-bitch he can be; yet, his antics never fail to upset me. I'm not saying that that's unreasonable, but I am saying that it's my non-acceptance of WHO HE IS that causes distress in my life. He'll never change. He was the way he is before I was even the proverbial twinkle in his eye. Therefore, when he's not the Dad I wish he were, it's nothing personal! My disappointment is a direct result of my expecting him to be someone he's not.
So, especially at work, it's nothing personal. Disneyland (a coworker) is nosy and inappropriate ALL THE TIME. It's not a special brand of behavior he reserves for annoying me. It's nothing personal. It's nothing personal. It's nothing personal.
A silent "Namaste," directed at all my daily players couldn't hurt to maintain mental stability either.

BODY (Input/Nutrition) I've been very focused on eating fewer calories recently. I've done VERY well with not eating dairy (patting self on back) and slightly less well with not eating meat. I just LERV seafood! Which I knew going into this . . . but that's OK. 80% rule, always and forever. I have some meatless and dairy less sandwich options, which is exciting. I've eaten some chicken and definitely fish. However, I have cut out a lot of meat from my diet . . . not that there was much to begin with, but you get the idea. I've still been doing the four to five small meals a day. Not eating two hours before bed has proved to be more challenging since I've been getting home close to 8. However, I do the best I can . . . I generally don't eat snacks at night any more. I can do better about drinking more water, as well as not eating in front of the TV. I know that I eat mindlessly when I watch TV, but it helps me feel less alone. BUT there's a wonderful screened-in porch on the side of the house that is perfect for eating meals -- especially when I get us some TV trays.
Anteeway, to give you an idea of what I've been eating on a daily basis, I'll let you know what today's menu looks like: Breakfast - 1 cup of cereal with dried cranberries and 3/4 of a fresh apple; Snack 1 - 1/4 c. roasted almonds with dried cranberries; Lunch - 1 cup of curried lentil soup and a meatless, dairy less sandwich; Snack 2 - medium orange; Dinner - 1-1.5 c whole wheat pasta with eggplant and marinara. I may also allow myself some Greek yogurt, the ONLY dairy I've been consuming . . . it's so unbelievably delicious that it had to make the cut.
(Output/Exercise) - For exercise today, I'm going to do more of my Slim in 6 program . . . I've been feeling resistant to phase 2, but I'm taking this time and space to let that go. I'd also like to reaffirm that I can do ANYthing I set my mind to. The goal is to have all aspects of my Self unite in the name of achieving optimum health . . . that takes time, conditioning and debunking lies I've been telling myself for a long time. I don't know why I am so scared to believe that I'm on my way. I'm on my way! I'm on my way! I'm on my way!
See? Nothing bad happened.
PS - I want to go hiking in the mountains at some point this weekend for exercise.

SPIRIT - To tend to my spirit, I am going on a hike at some point.
Also, I'd like to use this space to create with the Universe the things I really, really, really want:


Alright, peeps. I gotta motor . . . my responsibilities call. NAMASTE!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You can do it! Ignore that resistant voice. It'll always be there.

    ReplyDelete