Sunday, April 18, 2010

April 18th, part 2

It cannot be denied or ignored any longer: I am lactose intolerant and need to eliminate dairy from my diet. With the exception of Greek-style yogurt. I've removed dairy from my diet before for the same reason, but it only took one wine and cheese party for me to swan dive back into a daily in-take rich in dairy. I love cheese. Truly. However, I also love not having digestive issues and gas on a regular basis. So, you know . . . it's bye-bye delicious, cheesy goodness for a while. Again, I think that the 80% rule can apply in this instance, but the key is that I'm sick of feeling uncomfortable. I think that getting back into being totally committed to caring for my Self on all levels has made it impossible to ignore the things going on in my body. I'm grateful that I'm paying attention and willing to do something about the things I notice. I will need to find something to do with all the dairy products I have in my refrigerator right now, since letting them spoil is not an option.

MIND -- I've been drinking different teas all day that encourage/induce a relaxed state of mind. And I've been burning Nag Champa pretty much since I woke up. I've been blogging, of course, and I'll make some time this evening before bed for meditation.

BODY -- (Nutrition/Intake) I've begun to increase the number of times I eat per day but decrease the amount of food I eat at those times. It's so doable! For breakfast this morning I had, admittedly, a slightly larger than recommended serving of cereal with a sprinkling of granola, fresh blueberries and a splash of 1% milk. A few hours later, I had about a cup to a cup and a half of spinach pasta with the grilled mushrooms stuffed with garlic-herb pub cheese. A few hours after that, I had a handful of roasted almonds. About an hour and a half ago, I had a small spinach salad with a Wasa cracker turkey sammich. Around seven or eight pm this evening, if I am hungry, I will have some of the yoga soup -- minus the noodles -- that I'll prepare later.
I feel good about these food choices and even better about the portions! This approach to eating, which advocates having four-five small meals per day, remains true to my commitment to eat one portion per day and it will help my metabolism speed up. A faster metabolism = a body that burns fat, as opposed to stores it. I feel really positive and excited that it will help me achieve my health goal!
Also, I hereby commit to ceasing eating anything after nine pm. To help myself keep this promise, I'll make sure to brush my teeth at that hour and I'll drink water and/or tea, if feeling especially gurgly.
(Exercise/Output) I have yet to exercise today, but think it's a good day to go for a walk. Also, I'd like to dedicate more time to walking; in fact, I would like to be walking two to three times per week. I'll be sure to report how things go during the up-coming week. I'd also like to do a workout DVD . . . either three to four ten-minute toning exercises that target different muscle groups or two twenty minute cross-training videos. Both are excellent choices.
I can't express how much better I'm feeling now that movement is a regular part of my daily routine again.

SPIRIT -- I think that the time I dedicate to exercise and meditation will be all the spiritual house-keeping that I want or need to take care of today.

Happy Sunday! Blessings and joy for the up-coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment