Sunday, December 7, 2014

I O U

The date of departure for our trip to the US nears and I am doing my best to work up some excitement. I am nervous about where we will sleep and, of course, my stomach churns when I think about seeing my mother in the state she is in. Don't worry, though - the point of this post is not for me to post about the unfairness of my lot. I am here to express my unending gratitude for M's parents, who are generous, without question.
They accepted and loved immediately. They have treated me like family since the moment I met them. Having them as in-laws, has given me such peace of mind. Living in a state with social programs has had a calming effect that I've never known - but to also have my in-laws... I can't really put into words how amazing it is. I feel secure and that I definitely am at home, even though I was born and raised in a place a world away. My mother was always my security before and she would still be now, if she could. I would love to tell her not to worry about me, that I am in good hands, but I fear that she would not understand.
I've heard stories, awful stories, of people who do not have the pleasure of having this kind of relationship with their in-laws. Endless fights, misunderstandings, willful unacceptance that, in the end, destroy the relationship. This could not be further from what I enjoy in M's family and, yes, sometimes I wonder what I've done to deserve it. But today I am deciding to simply accept it, be grateful and assume that I deserve it.

I hope you're well and fighting the good fight!

1 comment:

  1. You deserve it because you're Sarah Dee and you and Michi chose each other! Michi didn't get his coolness from nowhere, right? :)

    We got a room for y'all in the Be Rizzle! You're good to go here and in Laffy.

    You should totally tell your mom you are secure, too, no matter the response. :)

    ReplyDelete