Saturday, April 9, 2011

10 day experiment in self acceptance, day 9

"Self-acceptance gives you a natural confidence that helps you to cultivate your God-given talents and express the bigness of your heart. Paradoxically, the more you practice your self-acceptance, the less your life is "all about me" and the more you open your heart to the world.

Identify five of your most natural strengths and talents. Be honest. Be specific. Don't shrink. Ask a friend for some help if you want some objectivity. Next, score from zero to 100 percent, how much you are using each of these in your life right now. Then, imagine how good your life could get if you committed to these innate strengths and talents more fully."



5 natural strengths/talents:


1) I have a good ear. This talent best applied to learning foreign languages and singing. Often, if I hear a sound -- whether it be a spoken word or a sung chorus -- I just know how to reproduce it. It is also often the case that I can reproduce a sound pretty close, if not spot on, to the original. For instance, one of my favorite party tricks is doing impersonations.
I would say that I am using this talent close to full capacity, considering I am living in Germany and speaking German on a daily basis. However, I'd like to be singing more.


2) I am very good with people. I am open, warm and friendly. I make acquaintances easily and hold on to friends for life, when appropriate. I usually am good at reading people and can get sense of a person's character; though, I do misjudge and, accordingly, always give people a second chance. 
I think I am using this talent at 80-90% of its full potential.
If I committed to this innate strength, there is really no telling how it might impact my life. I am interested to find out.


3) I am funny. I love to laugh and I love to make other people laugh and I am usually pretty good at at least getting a chuckle or two out of other people. 
Considering I am a big ham-bone, I don't see how it's possible that I am not using this talent at 100% of its full potential. 


4) I am organized. I have an eye for detail. I am meticulous to a fault . . . when working on a team, I am the guy who dots the i's and crosses the t's. I may not be fast, but I take pride in leaving no detail unattended. Not only is my work usually very detailed, but it also is visually appealing, as I strongly believe that a person's work represents them. 
I think I am using this talent at 75-85% of its full potential. 
I think it is difficult for me to use this strength to its utmost, as my life is not yet settled. I yearn for it, though. I ache for a full-time job, an apartment/house of my own and someone to share it all with . . . I look forward to nesting, which I think is just long-term organizing.


5) I have a dogged, fighting spirit. I might fall down, my spirits may flag, I always ALWAYS get back up.
I am using this talent at 65-75% of its full potential.
When this talent is operating at full capacity, so I am. I am determined to achieve my goals and realize as close to my full potential as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment