Monday, April 4, 2011

10 day experiment in self acceptance, day 6

" . . . Complete the following statement with 10 different responses: 'One self-defeating attitude I want to let go of now is...' 

Next, complete this statement with 10 responses: 'One self-defeating behavior I want to let go of now is...' 

Examine your answers carefully and commit to clearing at least one block from each list. As you release these inner blocks, the road in front of you will open up. 

'Not in the clamor of the crowded street, not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat,' wrote the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow."



One self-defeating attitude I want to let go of now is:
1) thinking that I am not capable of things
2) doubting myself; doubting the kind of person I am; doubting that I'll find a job/fall in love/lose weight/get my finances in order
3) believing that other people are better/smarter/more successful than I am
4) worrying that I will fail
5) believing the lies I was told/tell myself about who I am
6) thinking that I am not capable of being assertive
7) blaming myself for EVERYthing that "goes wrong"/doesn't go the way I want
8) believing that I am separate 
9) believing that I am not worthy of love or that not having found it yet is proof that I am unlovable 
10) thinking I should be perfect all the time; thinking that there should come a point when I stop making mistakes


One self-defeating behavior I want to let go of now is:
1) not trying new things for fear of not doing them perfectly/failing
2) giving my power and voice to other people because I am too afraid to say how I really feel
3) being afraid of pushing people away by being honest
4) self-sabotage
5) talking negatively about myself and my future
6) not treating myself or my body with respect
7) judging myself and other people unfairly
8) comparing myself to other people
9) being impatient
10) complaining; being lazy; letting fear stand in my way of going for the things I want in life


After examining both lists, I commit to removing the following inner and outer blocks: believing that I am not capable and not speaking my mind because I am too afraid to say how I really feel.
That is to say, I will commit to believing in my talents and capabilities. And I will say how I feel more freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment