Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday, July 16, 2010 Feelin good

Good good vibrations ladies and . . . probably more ladies! First and foremost, some of my framily is currently driving up to the Noog to see the mountains, take in the charm, raft the Ocoee and visit yours truly. So. frikkin. excited! This life has afforded me, thankfully, a large framily and I feel blessed and honored. Plus, I kinda love playing hostess. So, this is all pretty tight.
Secondly, I finally made it to three classes of boot camp this week! I originally signed up for the three day per week camp, but in the past four weeks have only made two classes per week. Well, lemme say I've made it to two classes per week. The "only" makes it seem like I'm downplaying my accomplishment, but I don't want to do that, cause it's been effing hard! The first week, I was so sore that I was walking and getting up from chairs like a woman very much with child.
It's definitely gotten, let's say, better as opposed to easier. It's always a challenge. I always get my heart rate up. I always work up a man-like sweat. And I always get a great workout. I have to say, though, last night's boot camp was the first workout that actually felt like boot camp. Don't get me wrong, the others have been hard . . . but this was just extra. Let's see if I can remember what all we did . . . warm up, of course. I know at one point, we did a circuit of pull-ups and chest flies for two minutes. Oh yeah, now I remember more. Shit, I think I blocked some of this out . . . we did knee-ups on a stack of old school gym mats (about 2.5 - 3 feet tall), alternating sides. We also had to lay down on those mats with our legs hanging off at the hips and raise our legs, with knees straight. Great/torturous for the glutes and quads. Then, in the same position we flapped our legs in and out. There were some other things in there, I know, but I can't remember. Anyway, we did three rounds of that circuit. THEN, we had the remainder of the class to do to rounds of the following circuit: 300 rotations jumping rope; 20 "burpees"/squat thrusts with a jump at the top of the move; and 40 forward kicks, one being kicking with the right and left leg. I was completely finished by the end of the first circuit, but somehow pulled some kinda 2nd round outta my ass. I was exhausted after the class, for sure. I'll tell you what, though, I slept like a little baby angel lamb. That's right. I slept that well.
This morning I went back for more of what our little spitfire ginger drill Sergeant has to dish out. I don't remember what all we did today, but I do remember she had us hula hoop with a big weighted colorful hoop. I thought I had completely lost the ability to hula-hoop since childhood, but she retaught me! Man, that was excellent! Great ab workout.
Another good thing from this past week: I went "running" Tuesday and will go again today . . . I alternate between 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking for about 2 miles. I have found this running plan online called Couch to 5k and that's the suggestion for the first week of training. Totally reasonable and doable. I always jumped into jogging before, which would explain why it's never really worked out for me before. Or rather, why I've never stuck it out. I have this impatience when it comes to things that take years/a lifetime to master. I want to be a natural-born genius at, like, lots of things. Running/jogging is just one of them. I have theories as to why I think that is, but I'll spare you for now.
Last good thing I want to talk about today: I am starting to feel results. I've been belly-aching about not "seeing" any results, but I think that was coming from a place of impatience and wanting to look good in my clothes again, as opposed to wanting to be healthy. Now I feel like I remember more clearly what this lifestyle is all about. Looking good in my clothes will come. It will be a side-effect (and reward) for taking care of myself. But if I don't love me enough to take care of my Self, what the hell does it matter how small my waist is or how awesome my ass looks in a pair of jeans? It's not like I would be able to enjoy those things or anything else that life would have to offer me. No, self-love has to come first and it has to be at the heart of damn-near everything I do, I'm re-learning. I've also had more energy, have felt more vital and vibrant, as well as lighter in spirit. I realize I've been missing those things much more than smaller sizes.
I know I'm gonna have a killer weekend. I hope you all do the same :)
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment